Market Garden Revisited - By Hugh Rafferty - 99th Troop Carrier Squadron 1944
February 1996 to August
The following articles appeared in Mayo Alive between 1996 and August 2000. Most are of general interest and they don't go out of date.
- Independence' Another contribution from Ed Murphy on the meaning of Independence Day to himself, as an American and also what signing the Declaration entailed for many of the brave signatories.
- When the Motor Car came West My late father's account of the arrival of the motor car in Mayo, roughly 100 years ago.-
- Memories of Kilmovee London-based Mick Tully writes of childhood days in Kilmovee.-
- Dublin '99 Another fine piece from JC Sullivan
- The Nallys of Rockstown House - The great Irish patriot and sportsman, PW Nally, was one of the Nallys of Rockstown House, Balla.
- Chicago Calling - St. Patrick's Day events in 'The Windy City.
- Red Roses - A poem with a topical theme, submitted by reader, Pat Mc. Donnell.
- A Passing: By JC Sullivan of Cleveland, Ohio. Can dreams have a hidden significance? Read of one man's experience..
- PW Nally: An introduction to the life and times of Patrick William Nally, the Mayo Fenian and sportsman.
- Bliadhan na bFhrancach:-: "The Year of the French:" An account by my late father of the arrival of the French in Mayo in 1798 and the bloody aftermath...
- In Childhood Days: - Selections from the works of poet, William Brendan Mc. Phillips, recalling bye-gone days around the Ballaghadereen area.
- Beware of promises: - warning for young Mayo people tempted by tales of easy money to be had in the States.
- From Cobh to Ellis Island - Continuing the story of John Kennedy's Journey form Balla to the United States.
- Mary : - Another poem by Margaret Henahan-Romeyn
- Endowment : - A simple and evocative poem by Margaret Henahan-Romeyn
- Mom's the Word, Part Two:- Cathy Corcoran tells of her visit to Ireland in search of her roots.
- The Journey to Cobh:- John Kennedy's journey to Cobh, Co. Cork, on his way to St. Louis.
- Mom's The Word: - Irish-American writer, Cathy Corcoran, tells why she decided to research her Irish roots and what she found when she went looking.
- A Dream Comes True: In simple but evocative terms, FM Ahearn tells just what his proposed trip from New York to Ballina next month will mean to him.
- The Kennedys of Mayo Abbey: - Part two - John Kennedy decides to leave his native Mayo for St. Louis, Missouri,in 1889.
- The Legacy of the Irish: - poem by Pat Gallinagh for St Patrick's Day
- Memories of Mayo: Mary Ellen Foster recalls memories of her childhood, spent in Mayo in the early years of this century.
- The Kennedys of Mayo Abbey: - Part one of a narrative account of his Mayo ancestors by Martin Joseph Kennedy III, from Oklahoma, USA.
- When I Come to Ireland - poem by Michael L Dellger
- The Moy Corries - folklore from the late John Edward Henry
- Mayo Man
- Through Sullivan's Eye - We Stick Together (Part 2)
- Irish Forecast - Poem
- When the Heart Comes Home - Poem
- Far Away in Australia
- Through Sullivan's Eye - We Stick Together (Part 1)
- Through Sullivan's Eye - CLEVELAND'S
IRISH CULTURAL FESTIVAL
or Which Bill Chambers are you speaking of?
- Through Sullivan's Eye - The Politics of Belfast Paranoia
- Through Sullivan's Eye - O'Donnell Family Christmas Tradition
- The West Links with Africa
- "Our Road"
- Through Sullivan's Eye - Two related stories
- "In My Travels" The Gaelic Teacher - Michael O'Doherty
- Chicago - The Mayo Abbey Connection
- Through Sullivan's Eye - The Copper Mine
- BALLINDINE - A brief history
- 1996 Journal of the South Mayo Family Research Centre
- Mayo of the Saxons and Anglican Jarrow
- Liverpool Great Hunger Monument
- Educational Visit to Mayo of Cúlra
- ECO Label Programme
- Through Sullivan's Eye - Movement in Irish-America to Beatify Red Hugh O'Donnell
- Paul Gallagher
- Through Sullivan's Eye - LENEGHAN BOYS BUILD TREE HOUSE
- Mayo's First All Ireland Win in 1936
- The Gang - Poem
- Mayo Abbey Harper on USA/Canada Tour
- "In My Travels" Vandals Destroy "Little Ireland" Cemetery
- History/Genealogy Corner - Foundlings
- Greetings from Mayo
- The Mayo Millennium Project
- West Gwillimbury's Mini-Castlebar
- History/Genealogy Corner - The Browne - Miller Duel of 1748
- "In My Travels" Not Just A Couple Of Mayo Men
- Skeleton in the Cupboard
- Mayo in Mississippi
- Through Sullivan's Eye - Sullivan Ballou Letter
- Through Sullivan's Eye - Father's Day
- Fond Memories
- Michael Staunton
- To a Saxon Poet
- Waldron's Weave - How Ancient is Mayo Abbey?
- The American Civil War - A Mayo Connection
- Through Sullivan's Eye - "There's a cool site . . . . "
- An American Experience
- Famine news 1845 - 1850
- Oh to Walk in Mayo
- Through Sullivan's Eye - There should've been a Piper
- The John Solan Story
- The Plains of Mayo
- The 1938 Essays of the Irish Folklore Commission
- Old Mayo Marriage Customs
- Mayo - its Waste and Litter
- Through Sullivan's Eye - Cleveland Celebrates O'Grady-Fitzpatrick 25th Wedding Anniversary
- I Miss Mayo
- History/Genealogy Corner - Night of the Big Wind in Co Mayo
- Waldron Clan Association
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Past articles from "Mayo Alive" your County Mayo ezine.